Development of Man Hemel Hempstead
'Development of Man' By Professor A H Gerrard of the Slade School of Fine Art in London.
Bridge St, the Marlowes Hemel Hempstead
Sculptured by A H Gerrard in 1955 at a cost of £2,000 the ‘Development of Man’ can be found on the corner of Bridge Street above the Santander bank and was unveiled in August of the Same year by Dame Evelyn Sharp.
Made form Portland stone the four panels portrays man in different ways, ‘Man The Town Dweller’, ‘Man The Machine User’ ‘Pastoral Man’ and ‘Man The hunter’.
'Man the Town Dweller'
enjoying the delights of home life, work and play
'Man The Machine User'
using mechanical power to drive machines.
Click on images for large view